Saturday, January 20, 2007

For Our Daughters


Women and girls have so many issues with body image in our society. The statistics are staggering. They reveal things like 40-60% of fourth graders have already been on a diet. Need I remind you that fourth graders are 9 years old.

Here are some revealing facts:
  • The average woman is 5'4" and weighs 145 pounds.
  • The average fashion model is 5'11" and weighs 120 pounds.
  • 95% of Real Women do not naturally look like the models we see in magazines.
  • By graduation, the average teenager will have seen 350,000 advertisements
    Advertisers deliberately intensify anxiety about weight because it makes them rich!
  • Images in ads have been "air-brushed" to remove all flaws, computer-elongated (with legs, torsos and necks stretched on the computer to make them appear longer) and sliced (with thighs, stomach and arms carved away to make them look thinner). We become programmed to believe that the women in ads, no matter how unreal, unattainable or unhealthy they are, are ideal!
  • 70% of college women say that they feel worse about their bodies after reading women's magazines
  • We buy products that we hope will make us feel better about ourselves.
  • Teenage girls spend over $4 billion annually on cosmetics alone
  • Americans spend $50 billion each year on diet products which DO NOT WORK!
  • 40-60% of 4th grade girls are dieting
  • 63% of high school girls are dieting
  • A dieting teen is 8 times more likely to develop an eating disorder than her non-dieting friend----SO DON'T EVEN GO THERE!
  • THE PROBLEM IS THE MESSAGES IN THE CULTURE, NOT YOUR BODY!

I got those facts from a great website: http://www.edin-ga.org/index.asp

What got me thinking specifically about our daughters was a comment in my previous post. I also had a link to a Mary-Kate and Ashley Shopping Website appear in my web surfing...which made me shake my head. Why would I, as a mother, want to encourage my daughter to desire to buy clothes from two celebrities who send out the wrong kind of message. Mary-Kate has often been in the media with concerns about anorexia. The last thing I want is for my daughter to desire to look like her. It is such a shame that these girls have been twisted and warped by Hollywood and it's expectations.

Remember when they looked like this?


1 Comments:

Blogger Bebemiqui said...

In regards to food, God has been working on me a lot lately. Why did He create food for us to eat? How do we eat (or not eat) in such a way that honors Him. I have taken to heart too many of societies "dos and donts" in terms of food. God may call me to fast for 2 days. Bodily that may not be the most healthy thing, but it may further my spiritual life. God may ask me to sit down at an eating contest and compete so that I can start a relationship with another contestant. He may ask me to eat only a bowl of rice a day, to better understand the plight of people in poor countries.
He may not ever ask me to eat anything other than the "norm"...how do we look at food from His perspective.
My two cents :0)

2:17 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home