Monday, October 30, 2006

Body Piercing


Don't worry, I didn't go out and get my body pierced. At this stage of the game, after three children and 17 years of marriage, I have doubts that I could even find my belly button! I won't even begin to mention the other areas that people are getting pierced these days!

When I think of the trend amongst the young people today of mutilating themselves, it just sickens me. I think it is so unattractive, unsanitary, unnecessary and it seems to just be another form of rebellion. I find it a very strange thing to go into a store and be served by someone with a piece of metal sticking out of their eyebrow, nose, cheek or lip. Regardless of what that person looks like, all I see is that piece of metal. I stare at it and do not make eye contact with them. It is an eery fascination of looking upon something you find repulsive yet continues to draw you in. Almost like when someone says, "Want to see something gross?" To which you catch yourself responding, "Sure!"

I was reading an article about an 18 year old girl who went to get her nipple pierced. Why anyone would want to get their nipple pierced, I honestly do not know. Especially if you ever want to nurse your children when you have a family. Something tells me though, that the kind of person who goes to get their nipple pierced, is not thinking about future childbearing years at that time! In any case, it is a very sad story of that girl getting an infection and subsequently having to have her entire breast removed due to infection. So, instead of being an 18 year old girl with a pierced nipple, she now is an 18 year old girl with one breast. It is a very sad scenario that will no doubt bring many troubles into her life as she deals with the results of her choice.

Read the article
HERE

The most amazing story of body piercing that I know of is found in the Scriptures. It is in Exodus 21:5-7. It is a passage about Hebrew slaves and it paints a beautiful picture for one who is in Christ. It says:

"But if the servant declares, 'I love my master and my wife and children and do not want to go free,' then his master must take him before the judges. He shall take him to the door or the doorpost and pierce his ear with an awl. Then he will be his servant for life."

I want to be like that slave. A slave who loves his master so much that he will take me to the doorpost so I might place my ear upon the wood. My master would then drive that awl through my earlobe as a sign of his ownership. My pierced ear would be like a badge declaring to everyone who sees me, that I am a slave of Christ. For being a slave of Christ, is to be truly free. Just as the Scriptures say in John 8:36, "So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed."

I praise God today that I am
a slave to Christ
a servant of the King
a co-heir with Jesus
a sheep in the sheepfold
a priest in the priesthood
a lost coin which was found
a prodigal returned
a sinner saved by grace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home