Friday, March 10, 2006

Labels and how to Wear Them.



Many people have an aversion to labels. Labels are too stereotypical I am told. They pigeonhole people and put them into tiny boxes...at least that is the complaint against them. Personally, I like labels. They are short, concise ways of identifying oneself. They sum things up and are the *Coles Notes* or *Cliffs Notes* for others to know what we are about. Not who we completely are, just something about us.

I am a Calvinist. Right away you have an idea of what I believe. You know that I am a Christian, I am Reformed, I subscribe to the *5 Points*...and all 5 points of the acrostic TULIP. I recall RC Sproul saying on one of his tapes that a 4 point Calvinist is just a confused Arminian! Now, if someone does not know what a Calvinist believes, which is a very common occurrance, then we do have some problems. However, the label serves it's purpose. It gives you an idea of where to start. We can move on from there, perhaps with some clarification, but my position is established.

I love labels.

I am a Christian.

I am a Calvinist.

I am a Baptist.

I am a wife.

I am a mother.

I am a homeschooler.

I AM CANADIAN.

I am going to get ready to go out now.

ciao.

Food for thought from http://doulogos.blogspot.com/ and kudos for the artwork. :)

3 Comments:

Blogger Daniel said...

Thanks for dropping by the blog! Labels, labels, labels... !

I like what Sproul had to say in his book on God's holiness, an anecdote about a teacher who answered a students question about whether or not the teacher (Sproul perhap?) was a Calvinist. The teacher answered in the affirmative, and was about to go on, but to be certain he asked the student to describe what was meant by Calvinist. The student replied that a Calvinist was someone who believed that God dragged some people into heaven who didn't want to be there, and slammed the door in the face of some who were banging desperately on the door trying to get it. Horrified, the teacher then explained that according to *that* definition, he was not a Calvinist... I don't remember if that was exactly how the anecdote played out, but it does highlight how labels can be troublesome when they mean different things to different people.

Thanks for dropping by my blog!

3:07 p.m.  
Blogger J. Wendell said...

Hi Mrs. Bishop,
I like your blog…

I like labels too! However, as Dan pointed out, there can be some misunderstandings.

Stand firm in your convictions.

brother John

4:29 p.m.  
Blogger the bishop's wife said...

Hey John,

I stopped by your blog and saw the discussion about pastors/elders/bishops. Loved this comment that you made, "Being a pastor is not for the weak."

Amen to that, brother!

The Bishop's Wife ;)

11:38 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home